There’s no denying that puppy love is strong! And that goes for both human lovers and, well, humans who love dogs. It can be hard for pet owners to leave their four-legged companions at home. Good news: You can include Fido or Fluffy on your next couples getaway thanks to awesome pet-friendly rental options.
Keep it simple by booking a hotel chain that welcomes dogs (read here) or a pet-friendly resort (read here). But, for a homier vibe, check out these bow-chicka-wow-wow pet-friendly rentals on VRBO.
Let fun peak (and bark) atop of some of the tallest mountains in the East!
Rental: Book this three-story, two-bedroom luxury cabin in Gatlinburg’s Ski Mountain area via VRBO. It has a marvelous deck equipped with relaxing rocking chairs and a hot tub — both ideal spots to take in views either day and night. To get your game on, pop into the entertainment room stocked with a pool table, an arcade game machine and more. Register your pet at the time of reservation. $195/night
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Leashed dogs are allowed in the campgrounds, picnic areas and on two walking paths — the Gatlinburg Trail and the Oconaluftee River Trail.
- The Village Shops: This collection of 27 unique specialty stores comes together with ornament wooden buildings and brick-paved walkways. Yes, it looks like a little village (as per its name). Take pup for a window shopping dog walk.
- Puppy Chow: BringFido.com list 26 area restaurants that are pet-friendly in Gatlinburg.
A melting pot of education and fun to love, the nation’s capital is a top year-round vacation spot for couples (and their canine companions).
Rental: This three-story VRBO home [pictured in blog’s feature image] is just minutes outside of Downtown D.C. in a lovely residential neighborhood. It’s super cute with hardwood floors, a grand piano, fireplace and outdoor patio. Plus, you can hop on the treadmill for a quick workout. But you’ll likely spend much of your stay on the rooftop! Snuggle up with your love and furry friend on plush seating and drink up the city’s skyline. $158/night
- Libations: Wet Dog Tavern claims to be the “1st D.C. pet-friendly bar garden.” It has a menu of liquor, beer and wine, plus juicy burgers. Also, check out Dacha, an outdoor beer garden serving world-class German, Belgian and American craft beers along with wines, meads, ciders and other refreshments. And don’t forget to stop into Right Proper Brewing Company where dogs are allowed on the patio, though not inside.
- Sightseeing Tour: Barry Ivan Silber, co-owner of Adventure DC Tricycle Tours, says his company customizes pedicab tours of the National Mall and other spectacular areas of D.C. (Tip: Consider the Romantic Twilight Tour for your vacay date night). “Any of our tours allow for the addition of a fine furry friend,” he tells Date Night Guide, adding, “Not only are we dog friendly — with dogs welcomed into our cabs — we actually (with owner’s approval) stay with/pet/walk/water dogs while guests check out non-dog friendly memorials since most memorials are not dog-friendly. However, the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial is dog-friendly.” Service dogs and pooches less than 70 pounds ride at no additional cost.
The Windy City makes travel planning a breeze with the opportunity to experience the best architecture, food, history, sports and waterways.
Rental: Located in the Gold Coast neighborhood of Chicago, the owner of this VRBO has seven available units in a vintage brownstone building. The décor of all of the units is quite posh but, for a bit of 1930s and 1940s pizazz blended with modern charm, opt for the Al Capone one-bedroom suite. Guests have access to the building’s common areas including of a BBQ, fire pit and a water feature. $199/night
- Kayak Chicago: This watersport company offers a variety of splashtastic tours. The most popular being the Architectural Tour, which is a guided tour on the Chicago River that explores the areas renowned architecture. All tours are pet-friendly (although the Fireworks Tour may frighten fur babies). Smaller dogs can fit into a single kayak with its owner, although a tandem kayak is required for larger pups to ride along.
- Mercury Canine Cruise: With the word canine in its name, this 90-minute excursion (available on weekends in late summer and fall) invites pooches abroad to cruise Chicago’s waterways. The boat provides water bowls and a special newspaper-lined restroom for pets.
San Diego, California
With great weather, miles of sandy beaches and major attractions, San Diego is ideal for a tail-wagging getaway!
Retail: This cozy two-bedroom condo is just down the block from the water. In fact, it has beach views from the rooftop seating space. And it includes tons of things to help you prepare for fun in the sun, like boogie boards, bikes, beach chairs and towels. $159/night
- Dog Parks: There are 16 off-leash dog parks in San Diego, including some that have beach access.
- Lighthouse Ice Cream: Since everyone, even Fido, likes a cool treat on a hot day, head to this sweet shop for a banana split for two (perfect to share with your love) and Frosty Paws for your furry mate.
- Otay Ranch Town Center: For retail therapy, head to this shopping hub which has stores, a farmer’s market and a dog park.
One of America’s most walkable big cities, it’s no wonder that Portland is a great destination for couples with pets.
Retail: Location, location, location! With floor to ceiling windows, this upscale condo lets you take in panoramic views of Downtown Portland. Its design is contemporary, yet comfortable for both couples and canine companions (added fee for a pup). $128/night
- Hikes: Pet Friendly Portland has mapped out tons of fun treks; one of which is called Dog Mountain, a strenuous 6.9 miles loop.
- Farmer’s Market: A farmer’s market date is a great way to sample local goodies in a new city. And leashed dogs are welcome too.
- Cooper Mountain Vineyards: Just outside of the city, this winery is pooch friendly! Cheers to that…
No need to book the kennel! Sniff out resources that’ll unleash dog-friendly vacation time. Try Bringfido.com, DogFriendly.com, TripsWithPets.com and PetsWelcome.com. Also, if Fido is flying the dog-friendly skies, visit PetTravel.com.
Want more? Read our blog “Doggone Great Date Nights for Dog Lovers.”
Feature image credit: VRBO
Nancy DeVault is the managing editor of Date Night Guide. She also contributes to publications such as Babble, AmeriDisability Services Magazine and Orlando Magazine. She enjoys outdoor adventures with her husband and toddler.
Comments are closed.